Translate

Monday 7 October 2013

Remember When It Rained #1

Hello Internet!

Yes, I have written a story! It is based around one of my all time favourite song, sung by my all time favourite singer! It will come in chapters every few days to keep checking to be kept in the loop! Hope you like it :D

© Chapter 1: 
 Dear Grace,
Do you remember when…

*Sigh* “No, I can’t write that” I looked out of the window opposite me, leaning back in my chair hoping that some inspiration would come to me as fast as the rain was coming down outside. It was one of those typical, dreary days that England has to offer, and to be honest it wasn’t doing me any good.

“Josh are you still working on that letter? You’ve been at it for hours. Come and take a break, I’ll grab you a beer”

“I need to get this finished Matt, it’s been almost 9 years since we last talked…I just need to know she’s okay”

At that moment Matt gave me a suspicious look, “So you wanna know if she’s okay do you?” I gave him a glare, so he went and sprawled out on the sofa, getting the hint that I wasn’t in the jokey mood I’m usually in.

Grace and I had been friends ever since we were kids, both our mothers called us inseparable but we preferred to think of ourselves as partners in crime…of the cookie jar that is. We used to meet up all the time, rain or shine. As long as we were together nothing else mattered. We often snuck down to the beach and met next to the old shack right by the shore in the evenings or early in the mornings, to scavenge for crab and lobster shells for fun. Grace always came prepared with her wicker flower basket she got for her 6th birthday, whereas the only thing I brought was my rain coat. Once we’d had enough of rummaging our hands through the sand and shingle, we would bury ourselves in the seaweed that covered the far part of the beach. We’d gather bucket loads (or basket loads) of it and pile it up into a huge mound and pretend it was a raging sea monster of the high seas! Grace would then pretend to be the damsel in distress and I, her knight in shining armour.

But these antics were often short lived as we had to race back to our homes before any one realised we were gone, leaving the salty mound of sea weed to be destroyed by the incoming wind and waves.

But when Grace was 10 her parent’s died in a car accident in Wales…she was devastated, we barely talked after this happened. I used to go down to beach, just in front of the old shack, by myself in the evenings watching the waves as they broke against the rocks, hoping that she would come down and meet me there once again. It must have done this for around 3 weeks when I finally noticed her slowly walking down towards me. Without her basket. She sat me down and began to cry, her hair was plastered to her face from the salty spray. She explained that because she had no one here anymore, she had to go and live with her Grandmother in America. Everything seemed to slow down when she told me this, I just couldn’t believe it. The thought of never being able to see her again seemed to rip me apart. After an hour of sitting in silence, we both parted and went our own ways back to our homes, not worried of the thought of our carers giving us hell when we got back.

The next day a letter came for me, my mother gave it to me with a sympathetic grin, “Grace dropped this round earlier while you were sleeping…I didn’t want to wake you.” I took it and ran up to my bedroom, unsuccessfully attempting to keep in the flood of tears that had been bursting to get out since my mother gave me the envelope. It was red and pristine, not a crease or an ink slodge in sight, and on the front was just my name. Josh.

Josh,
I’m really going to miss you, there won’t be a day that goes by when I’ll stop thinking about you. I had to drop this letter round this morning because by the time you’re reading this I’ll probably already be on the plane, I really did want to give it to you in person but your mum said that you were sleeping, and I didn’t think it was fair to wake you just for a letter…
Anyhow, this is my Grandmother’s address. If you want to, we can keep in touch by letters, gran says it’s too expensive to ring every day so this is the only alternative. I’m really sorry, maybe when we’re older we can meet up again?
Goodbye,
Love Grace x

By the time I’d read the letter the tears I had been fighting back were streaming down my face.
I can’t really remember the rest of that day, all it seems to me now is a blur. But I do remember me and Grace exchanging letters, this happened for a year or so before us both forgot about each other as we ventured off to college. A chance to finally start our lives as our own. But unfortunately for me I had some…concentration issues. All I could think about was Grace.


Because of this, my grades hit rock bottom and I dropped out college. That’s why I’m here now I guess. 23 years old, no job, no girlfriend and living with a roommate that cares more about his beer than the rent…

No comments:

Post a Comment