Translate

Tuesday 8 October 2013

Remember When It Rained #2

I can’t really complain, I have a home, I have friends, I have a family and I have my imagination. That’s all you really need isn’t it?

“You’re daydreaming about her aren’t you?” Sighed Matt.

“Just leave me alone, I don’t know why I can’t get her out of my mind! I haven’t seen her in years…I can’t be in love…can I? … God I need to clear my head, I’m going for a walk in the rain” I pulled out my chair and kicked it under the desk.

“Ah, like a true Romeo” said Matt, you could sense he was making fun of me, but I just let it go. He’d only get beer on the sofa if I shoved him.

I’d managed to get down the ground floor without slipping on the wet trail of footprints of people scurrying up and down the stairs. Before getting outside and only just remembering I forgot my umbrella…oh well. I must’ve been outside for hours just walking and thinking. It’s amazing how much of the small details you remember when reminiscing, but also of the big chunks you miss. Days and weeks of blank memory, the only memories I could have to remember Grace by.

I finally made the decision to get back to my apartment. I wanted to get home before Matt passed out from alcohol, the image didn’t entirely appeal to me so I thought it best to hurry my footsteps. I passed an alley on the way and I heard some strange noises. I carried on. It was only until I heard a loud crash, like pots and pans falling out of a cupboard, when I got worried. So I retraced my steps and peered into the darkness. Everything seemed quiet now. It was 7:00 after all, and the rain was still hammering down so I couldn’t imagine anyone being out right now.

“Is anyone there?...” no answer.

“Hello?”

“Get out of here mate, you’re not wanted” A dusty, grey man stepped out of the shadows from behind a dumpster. “did you not hear me?”

I inched backwards sensing something wasn’t right. The man had a woollen hat, torn clothes and a cut on his face, like he’d been in a struggle of some sort. Another crash came from where he had emerged from and he rushed back. I managed to hear him whispering something over the fat rain drops on the metal sheets that had fallen down not long before.

“Don’t say anything, keep your mouth shut, and keep those legs still. Then, and only then, nothing will happen”

Not thinking, I rushed forwards to where the man was standing and saw a girl, around my age maybe a bit younger, with fair, knotted, blonde hair a ripped skirt, a soiled blouse and broken heels. Her face looked battered and bruised and she was trying not to cry. I just knew it. But before I could say anything I was on the floor with a throbbing pain in my temple. All I saw then was a dark figure running away through the puddles as I lay there. Helpless, with my head in a puddle as the rain was falling all around, relentless to stop.
I finally woke up with my head looking up at the sky. It had stopped raining but it was still night, the stars were shining so brightly.

“Are you okay?” A soft voice, a warm, comforting voice questioned me and I was opening my eyes, recovering from the blow. I didn’t reply to the strange voice, instead I concentrated on sitting up, and standing up. I almost fell but she helped me so I could lean on the dumpster. I looked at her properly now, she was the woman I saw last night! Except now I could see her more clearly, she had a red ribbon in her hair, tied into a bow and…she was, well, beautiful. I completely forgot about Grace. It was very battered, probably from what she had encountered before. I managed to whisper out a thanks. She didn’t really say much, but somehow she looked familiar? But I just took that as a result of my concussion I thought I had.

After a while of awkward silence I said I better be on my way. So we parted and I stumbled back to my apartment, taking the lift this time. I instantly went to my bed not thinking about checking on Matt. All I had on my mind was that woman, and sleep.
I woke up at 6:00 after only a few hours sleep, still feeling like I had a hangover. I went to check to see if there was any mail even though it never usually comes until 9:00. I opened the door and saw something I never thought to ever see again.


A pristine red envelope, with no ink splodge or crease to be seen. And only one word on the front. Josh. And beside it? A battered red ribbon…

No comments:

Post a Comment